>>> If the developer forgets the \ there would likely be a parsing problem.
>>
>> I find it helpful to clarify parsing challenges around such an use case.
>> It might occasionally be relevant if a line continuation indication
>> was accidentally forgotten or was intentionally omitted.
>>
>> * Source code review should point such questionable places out, shouldn't it?
>>
>> * How much does this implementation detail matter for the safe application
>>   of the semantic patch language?
>
> This is not Coccinelle's problem.

This software is also involved then.

> A developer can run a compiler to check for parsing errors.

I imagine that a missing line continuation can be hard to detect
and report as a possible programming error because the corresponding
code parts can still be valid on their own according to special circumstances.

Can the semantic patch language help to insist for a search that a bit of
source code
belongs to the implementation of a function-like macro?

Regards,
Markus