On Wed, 2020-09-02 at 22:46 +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Sep 2020, Joe Perches wrote:

> > []
> > > I will have to look into it.  It should handle this sort of thing, but it
> > > is somewhat complex, because the declarations have to be split and this
> > > specific case may not be handled.
> >
> > Thanks.  Hope you can get to look at that one day.
> >
> > > One thing that is possible is to change only the variable name.  If there
> > > are not many occurrences, one could fix them up afterwards by hand.
> >
> > And hi again Julia.
> >
> > I've tried a few variations on finding uses of a function
> > argument that are not by specific named functions or with
> > local assignment of that function argument to another
> > variable without success.
> >
> > For example:
> >
> > ssize_t fn(struct device *dev, struct device_attribute *attr, char *buf)
> > {
> > *   char *orig = buf;
> > or
> >     int count;
> > *   count = local_static_func(some_struct *foo, buf);
> > }
> >
> > where local_static_func is not sysfs_emit or sysfs_emit_at
> >
> > Any clue you can offer?
>
> I'm not completely sure what is wanted.

I want to identify places where the 3rd argument
to any sysfs "show" function is used other than
by the converted sysfs_emit and sysfs_emit_to calls.

For instance, this assignment of p to buf

drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-static ssize_t
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-attr_show_args(struct device *dev, struct
device_attribute *attr, char *buf)
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-{
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-      struct mISDN_dsp_element *elem =
dev_get_drvdata(dev);
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-      int i;
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-      char *p = buf;
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c:      *buf = 0;
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-      for (i = 0; i < elem->num_args; i++)
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-              p += sprintf(p, "Name:
%s\n%s%s%sDescription: %s\n\n",
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-                           elem->args[i].name,
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-                           elem->args[i].def
? "Default:     " : "",
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-                           elem->args[i].def
? elem->args[i].def : "",
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-                           elem->args[i].def
? "\n" : "",
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-
elem->args[i].desc);
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-      return p - buf;
drivers/isdn/mISDN/dsp_pipeline.c-}

so that this could (likely manually) be converted to:

static ssize_t attr_show_args(struct device *dev, struct device_attribute
*attr, char *buf)
{
        struct mISDN_dsp_element *elem = dev_get_drvdata(dev);
        int len = 0;

        for (i = 0; i < elem->num_args; i++) {
                len += sysfs_emit(buf, len, "Name:
%s\n%s%s%sDescription: %s\n\n",
                                  elem->args[i].name,
                                  elem->args[i].def ? "Default:     " : "",
                                  elem->args[i].def ? elem->args[i].def : "",
                                  elem->args[i].def ? "\n" : "",
                                  elem->args[i].desc);
        }

        return len;
}

And any use of buf passed to another function:

drivers/macintosh/macio_sysfs.c-static ssize_t modalias_show (struct device
*dev,
drivers/macintosh/macio_sysfs.c-                              struct
device_attribute *attr,
drivers/macintosh/macio_sysfs.c-                              char *buf)
drivers/macintosh/macio_sysfs.c-{
drivers/macintosh/macio_sysfs.c-        return of_device_modalias(dev, buf,
PAGE_SIZE);
drivers/macintosh/macio_sysfs.c-}