>… keeps a reference count on failure, …

Would you get into the mood to perform a systematic source code search
for similar function implementations according to resource clean-up?

> v2: better keyword

How do you think about to add the information “wrapper functions” here?

…
> +@r0 depends on patch && !context && !org && !report@
> +expression ret,e;
> +@@
> +
> +-     ret = pm_runtime_get_sync(e);
> ++     ret = pm_runtime_resume_and_get(e);
…

I suggest once more to concentrate the specification of such a change
to the desired replacement of the mentioned function name.

+ ret =
+-      pm_runtime_get_sync
++      pm_runtime_resume_and_get
+                          (e);

…
> +      if (ret < 0)
> +-     {
> +-             pm_runtime_put_noidle(e);
> +           S1
> +-     }
> +      else S2
…

I propose to put this adjustment into a disjunction for the semantic patch
language.
How do you think about to combine five SmPL rules into one?

…
> +*     ret@j0 = pm_runtime_get_sync(e);
> +      if (ret < 0) {
> +              f(...,c,...);
> +*             pm_runtime_put_noidle@j1(e);
> +           ...
> +      } else S
…

Would you like to express in the SmPL context rules that a macro or function
call
is optional here?

Are there any opportunities to consider for the avoidance of duplicate SmPL
code?

…
> +msg = "WARNING: opportunity for pm_runtime_get_sync"
> +coccilib.org.print_todo(j0[0], msg)
…

Can the following Python code be more appropriate?

+coccilib.org.print_todo(j0[0], "WARNING: opportunity for
pm_runtime_resume_and_get")

Would you like to reconsider the message also for the SmPL report rule
accordingly?

Regards,
Markus