New Message on cochindotnet

From: spark
Message 1 in Discussion

The Open
source .Net implementation has finally been released as version 1.0.

The project was code
named Mono as many of you already know. Mono ships with a C# compiler, a full
CLR implementation, a large part of teh base class libraries that are avilable
as teh commercial .Net framework on Windows, Webservices, ASP.Net, ADO.Net (a
whole pile of providers), somethings that are not available for Windows
(portable GTK# libraries to replace Windows forms) and more.

There is also a IDE
under development by a different group that is called MonoDevelop. MonoDevelop
presently supports Xwindow systems on various Unixes and Mac OS. It has support
for some esoteric languages for Nemerle is addition to C#. The IDE however is
not near the official release version. (http://www.monodevelop.com/)

Here is a snippet
from Miguel De Icaza's blog (Miggy is the lead developer of the Mono project)
:

We vastly
underestimated the Slashdot effect. There were 85k hits in the first hour since
we went live, and then the machine collapsed under the weight and has remained
in that state despite repeated attempts to get some data out of it.

None of the betas really had this problem, we got some mild load,
but today the load on the machine was insane.
I made a few posts
today: New
Windows.Forms plan, the new cvs
rules in the post 1.0 world and finally a thank
you note to developers.
Mike Kestner has posted an
update on Gtk#
in the release.
http://primates.ximian.com/~miguel/activity-log.php

You can download Mono from http://www.go-mono.com/ (whenever the
server comes up)

regards,
Roshan (yet
another .Net hacker) James

To stop getting this e-mail, or change how often it arrives, go to your E-mail
Settings.
http://groups.msn.com/cochindotnet/_emailsettings.msnw

Need help? If you've forgotten your password, please go to Passport Member Services.
http://groups.msn.com/_passportredir.msnw?ppmprop=help

For other questions or feedback, go to our Contact Us page.
http://groups.msn.com/contact

If you do not want to receive future e-mail from this MSN group, or if you received
this message by mistake, please click the "Remove" link below. On the pre-addressed
e-mail message that opens, simply click "Send". Your e-mail address will be deleted
from this group's mailing list.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]