It shouldn't ask you for the height of a NULL item.

This is either:
1. a bug in nsoutlineview
2. your code may be reloading the nsoutlineview in one of the delegate methods, putting it into a "strange" state. If you see this happening consistently, you may want to break on NSOutlineView reloadData and see if it is getting called when it shouldn't be.

corbin