Hi all,

The short question is: how do I drag'n'drop single cells in an NSTableView (or NSOutlineView). I.e. I don't want the entire row to be dragged, just one cell.

Is there any example code on how to do this? Or is there anyone who might push me in the right direction? Is tableView:shouldTrackCell:forTableColumn:row: something I should learn more about? Or is writeRowsWithIndexes what I want?

I googled myself dizzy but haven't found an answer. The NSMatrix class looks promising, but I need different column widths as well as headers. The NSTableView also looks promising, but dragging seems very "row based".

A little more information about the situation: I have a model which (simplified) looks like this: there is an Area entity and a Type entity and finally an Item entity. The Area and Type entities have a title property.

Each Item belongs to exactly one Area and one Type

Item <<----> Area
Item <<----> Type

There might or might not be an Item for a specific Area/Type combination.

There is no (explicit) relation between Area and Type. I would like to present this in a "matrix" (NSTableView, NSMatrix, or ???) with Area-s going vertical and Type-s going horizontal. Like this (monospaced font probably required...):

  | Type1  | Type2  |
------+---------+--------+
Area1 |  Item11 |        |
Area2 |         | Item22 |
Area3 |  Item31 | Item32 |

And now the tricky part, there might be a relation between two Item-s. This relation is defined by the user and I would like to implement this with drag and drop. Of course I could use a context menu, but drag and drop feels much more "mac-like" and elegant.

So, for creating a relation between Item11 and, say, Item32, the user drag and drops the *cell* Item11 on the cell Item32.

Thanks
/Dan