To be clear, I'm not trying to say that 16-bit wchar_t has no value.

Honestly, I think Apple should have much better support for it. If you're porting an app from Windows, you probably have to deal with WCHARs in some fashion. I'd like to say I have a radar for it but I'm honestly not sure. It's been a few years since the last time I had to deal with 16-bit wchar_ts. At the time I remember needing to borrow large chunks of MSL from CodeWarrior, and getting it to compile on Xcode… bleck.