Hoping we're not too off topic for the list, if so, someone please say so.

That said...

I tried Cocotron, and I really liked it in theory. Yes, the apps it made looked more native than the ones from GNUstep. However, as soon as I wanted to get beyond making a text editor (Yes, specifically, I wanted threading and socket support) the whole thing kinda fell apart. Everything in NSTask, NSThread, NSSocket* NSHttp* etc were all nothing but stubs.

To be clear, if Cocotron had these, it would be close to a no brainer big win, but it didn't. GNUstep has most of these.

For the record, I'm not affiliated with either of these libraries, my only interest in them has been in porting from Mac OS X, and in a possible path to be able to write Objective-C exclusively instead of C+ + or Java.

So I guess the point is... all of these options are somewhat crippled and incomplete in different areas depending on what you're trying to accomplish and how forgiving your customer is. My advice would be to try them both and see which one works for the specific problem domain you are trying to solve.

I don't think that either solution deserves lauding as being somehow morally or technically "better" they're just different. Both incomplete. Both open source.