Followup... I tried two workarounds, both however return an incorrect result:

// Try #1
iTunesPlaylist *currentPlaylist = [ iTunes currentPlaylist ] ;
SBElementArray *currentTracks = [currentPlaylist tracks];
int index = [currentTracks indexOfObject:[iTunes currentTrack] + 1];
NSLog(@"%d", index) // Returns 376275776! Should be 1...

// Try #2
NSAppleScript *the_script=[[NSAppleScript alloc] initWithSource:@"tell
application \"iTunes\" to return index of current track"];
int index = (int)[the_script executeAndReturnError:nil];
[the_script release];
NSLog(@"%d", index); // Also returns 376275776 :-/

Surely there has to be an easy way to do this?