Just a guess, but is the window set to "Release when closed" in IB?

You probably want to orderOut: it, not close it. Then makeKeyAndOrderFront: will do what you want. makeKeyAndOrderFront does make the window visible if it's not, but your window has probably been released from the close so it's not working.

- d