Hi Aki,

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated. I completely stripped all my
custom drawing code and everything to double-check it wasn't just some bad
expectation of glyph-to-character mapping in my own code, but the problem
persists. I've uploaded the sample, stripped down project here:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/misc/HiddenTextTestBasic.zip

All it contains is two text views that share the same text storage, one of
which (the left one) uses the custom glyph generator to hide text (given that
my real app allows the user to view the same text storage in different panes,
it may be that the user has text hidden in one pane but not in the other).

To see the bug in action, all you need to do is build the project, then, in the
right-hand text view (where the text isn't hidden), click somewhere between the
square brackets (i.e. inside the text that has been hidden in the left-hand
text view) and hit return to create a new line twice. The second time you hit
return, you will get the following exceptions thrown on the console:

2008-03-10 20:15:21.121 HiddenTextTest[2956:813] Exception raised during
background layout:  *** NSRunStorage, _NSBlockNumberForIndex(): index (170)
beyond array bounds (163)
2008-03-10 20:15:21.122 HiddenTextTest[2956:813] *** NSRunStorage,
_NSBlockNumberForIndex(): index (170) beyond array bounds (163)
2008-03-10 20:15:23.320 HiddenTextTest[2956:813] *** NSRunStorage,
_NSBlockNumberForIndex(): index (170) beyond array bounds (163)
2008-03-10 20:15:23.321 HiddenTextTest[2956:813] *** NSRunStorage,
_NSBlockNumberForIndex(): index (170) beyond array bounds (163)

After that, you can't type any more - the text view is frozen. You just get
more errors along the lines of:

2008-03-10 20:20:16.799 HiddenTextTest[2956:813] Exception raised during
background layout:  -[NSLayoutManager
_fillLayoutHoleForCharacterRange:desiredNumberOfLines:isSoft:] *** attempted
layout while textStorage is editing.  It is not valid to cause the
layoutManager to do layout while the textStorage is editing (ie the textStorage
has been sent a beginEditing message without a matching endEditing.)

I did find that if I set -setBackgroundLayoutEnabled: to NO, these errors go
away, but I suspect that this is really just masking the underlying problem
rather than fixing it - and besides, I'd really prefer to have background
layout enabled.

Many thanks for taking an interest in this.

All the best,
Keith