I can't comment on the iPhone part as this is NDA (and should not be
discussed here) but, on Mac OS X, I'd add /usr/include/libxml2 to the header
search path in project (or target) build settings.
Also, I'd add the libxml2.dylib to my project using "Add existing framework"
or add -lxml2 to the "additional linker flags" of project (or target) build
settings.

Of course, this only describes what I'd do for a Mac OS X project in Xcode.

--
Julien