On Mar 10, 2008, at 4:05 PM, Trygve Inda wrote:

I would like to use NSThreads as they seem simpler and Apple's latest docs
discourages MPTasks.

The call I need an equivalent to is MPWaitOnQueue... This blocks a thread until a message is received OR it times out. Is there a way to get a similar
functionality with NSThread?

Basically I want to do a bit of processing, then wait for say 5 seconds, but in the interim, I want to be able to send a abort signal to the thread so
that if I need to end the thread it can safely exit asap.

The documentation you're looking for is here:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ Multithreading/ThreadSafety/chapter_5_section_1.html

Using an NSConditionLock and its -lockWhenCondition:beforeDate: method may be the most straightforward way to implement what you're trying to achieve. (Note that NSConditionLock is discussed under "Using Locks" in the above documentation, rather than under "Using Conditions".)

-Ken