1) All init methods should return (id) not a specific class2) your
initWithDelegate: is likely too generic as a name and its signature
conflicts with an other one.

Since [XMPPStream alloc] is typed id, the compiler might not be sure of what
method signature you want to use for -initWithDelegate:

In the second case, the compiler knows you are using -[XMPPStream
initWithDelegate:]

I tend to remember that the compiler warning was more specific before
Leopard, maybe a regression.

Nonetheless, good coding style should lead you to rename your method to:

- (id)initXMPPStreamWithDelegate:(id)aDelegate;

instead of:

- (XMPPStream *)initWithDelegate:(id)aDelegate;

--
Julien