On 12 Mar '08, at 12:39 AM, Trygve Inda wrote:

I am surprised NSURLDownload and
NSURLRequest do not have userInfo ivars like many other Cocoa classes
that do asynchronous operations (NSTimer for instance).
Thanks for this. I too am surprised there is no userInfo in these classes
and wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something.

I looked through the Foundation and AppKit headers, and the _only_ class that has an "id userInfo" property like this is NSTimer. (I wasn't even aware of it; I've never found a need for it.) So I don't think it's a widespread technique.

(There are immutable value objects like NSError and NSNotification that have userInfo dicts, but that's to provide metadata about the object's value, not as an alternative to subclassing.)

—Jens