On 12 Mar '08, at 12:13 PM, Nathan Vander Wilt wrote:

I want to be able to convert a mouse
coordinate into a point suitable for -hitTest:'ing on
my root layer. I can convert from the mouse
coordinates to the view's coordinates, but then I am
not sure how to proceed.

There doesn't seem to be any API for converting between the coordinates of a view and its root layer. You could probably do it by getting the root layer's transform property, and then running the point in view coordinates through that.

I had been using the convenient assumption that the two coord systems are identical, which they usually are (but I had never tried changing the screen resolution, q.v.)

CALayers don't have this bounds/frame distinction

They do, actually. The bounds is the internal view of the coordinate system, and the frame is the external view.

BUT when I use
Quartz Debug to double the scale factor, GeekGameBoard
breaks, as if mouse movements/locations were halved.

Wow, you're right. I'd never tried that.

it almost seems
that 1 unit always corresponds to 1 pixel. How does
Core Animation's geometry relate to NSView's
resolution independent geometry?

I think you're right about the pixels. That's news to me; I'm stumped. Hopefully some CA expert can enlighten us.

—Jens