You may be confusing two separate things.

Mail plug-ins are not applications, and they have to use a private, undocumented API. It is not something encouraged by Apple, nor is it a great choice for a Cocoa program. If you're serious, there are several plug-ins with the source code available you can study, like GPGMail

http://www.sente.ch/software/GPGMail/English.lproj/GPGMail.html

Now, if your application just need to communicate with Mail, then you should read up some of the documentation about interapplication communications at the Mac Dev Center. There are several options, including NSPipe and the Scripting Bridge, the latter most likely being a better choice for interacting with Mail.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ScriptingBridgeConcepts/index.html