Lincoln,

I'd refactor this so that you can take advantage of NSTextView's - readRTFDFromFile: method. It appears that you just want to get the NSTextView populated with some text. You don't seem to be saving the RTF data for any other purpose.

Compiled in Mail.app:

NSString *filePath = ...;

BOOL isRTF = [type isEqualToString:@"Rich-Text With Attachments"] || [type isEqualToString:@"Rich-Text"];

if ( isRTF ) {
        BOOL didRead = [textView readRTFDFromFile:filePath];
        NSLog(@"did read RTF?: %@", didRead ? @"YES" : @"NO");
} else {
        [textView setString: [NSString stringWithContentsOfFile:filePath]];
NSLog(@"did read plain text?: %@", [textView string] != nil ? @"YES" : @"NO");
}

Bill