On 16 Mar '08, at 10:15 AM, I wrote:

It would be, if I had a CAAnimation object. But I don't. All I did was something like "layer.position = newPos". That creates an implicit animation behind the scenes, but I don't see any way to get the object corresponding to that animation, so I have no way of tracking its progress.

After some experimenting I found that setting the "position" property of a layer sets an animation for the "position" key; so you can retrieve it by calling [layer animationForKey: @"position"]. But that's an undocumented implementation detail that could change in the future, so I don't want to rely on it. (There is no "animations" property that would let me get all the current animations on the layer.) Worse, the CAAnimation retrieved from that key has somehow been made read-only, so attempting to set its delegate (so I can be informed when it finishes) throws an exception.

The relationship between implicit and explicit animations seems very confusing, and I can't find any documentation of it. I'm fighting my way through this by trial and error...

—Jens