Cocoa applications tend to come to the foreground automatically whenever I drag files to their Dock icon. Sometimes, however, I'd prefer my application to stay in the background and just start working on the file, while giving feedback through the Dock icon.

But this isn't supposed to be a background-only process -- ideally, activation behavior would depend on the type of the file(s) I just dragged to the Dock.

(You might think such behavior would confuse users. But I do think it would be useful in situations where users drag lots of items to the application's Dock icon, because they want them to be dealt with sequentially. And this kind of non-standard behavior would certainly only be an option.)

So is anyone aware of a way to prevent an application from activating in these situations -- similar to sending preventWindowOrdering to keep windows in the background after mouse clicks?

Thanks!

Peter.