Hello

I would like to know what are the best practices and recommended programs for preparing bitmap fonts for use in Cocoa applications. I'm also reporting what is probably a bug in either OS X or the available font editors.

If there is a list better suited to this question, please point me to it.

I'm trying to convert the well known X11 fixed unicode fonts to a format usable in Cocoa text editors and terminal programs. These fonts are available under a free license on Markus Kuhn's website: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs-fonts.html and are provided in source BDF format.

I tried using the free editor Fontforge to convert 9x18.bdf into a so- called (by Fontforge) "Apple bitmap-only .dfont" format. Mostly it works, but I've run into a problem that Fontforge's programmers can't solve. See this thread on their list:
http://www.nabble.com/BDF-to-Apple-bitmap-only-dfont,-wrong-line-height-td15155775.html

The problem is that the generated dfont is rendered by OS X with 4px of additional ascent (or line-height) and we can't figure out where it comes from. If I convert only the ASCII subset of the original Unicode font, the line-height is correct. As soon as I add more than a couple of non-ASCII characters, the 4px bug comes out.

I tried doing the same conversion using a trial version of the commercial BitFonter 3.0 editor ($500) and I got the same results as with Fontforge.

I looked into the .dfont file with a hex editor, using this manual as a reference http://developer.apple.com/textfonts/TTRefMan/ but I couldn't find anything out of place.

Here is a zip http://gruppo4.com/~tobia/osx-font-problem.zip where I've put two OS X dfont files I created from 9x18.bdf, using Fontforge, plus a text file with the font tables I extracted using the hex editor. In "test3" I converted the full Latin 1 charset (Unicode points < 256) and it shows the 4px bug; in "test7" I deleted all glyphs other than ASCII and a couple of Latin 1 accented letters, and it displays correctly in all Cocoa apps.

What am I doing wrong? What's different in the two files? Can you replicate this bug? Is this a bug in OS X, a weird setting in the original BDF, or a bug shared between Fontforge and BitFonter?

Can you think of any workaround or alternative program I could try?

Any input will be appreciated

Tobia