on 3/18/08 11:17 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] purportedly said:

> I have an NSTableView, bound to an NSArrayController, which is bound
> to my custom object. So far so good. I can change attributes, add,
> remove, all that good stuff. Now, my custom object can have one
> property changed programmatically by an NSTimer. Of course, when the
> change happens, the object is updated but not the NSTableView.

Chances are, you are not updating the property in a KVO-compliant way.
First, make sure you are doing things correctly, before kludging a
workaround.

See:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaBindings/Conc
epts/Troubleshooting.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002148-DontLinkElementID_6

And if you haven't read that whole document, you really really need to.

> My second question is more general. I've basically just completed the
> Cocoa Programming book by Hillegass. Is there a "next" logical book/
> document to read, or is it just time to write lots of experimental
> code and ask questions?

Write lots of experimental code, but read relevant docs *before* you ask
questions. Get AppKiDo <http://homepage.mac.com/aglee/downloads>. Not only
does it greatly simplify browsing the API, it also makes it easy to find
conceptual documentation.

Unfortunately, just about every Cocoa book on the market is sorely out of
date. Kochan's Objectice-C book, however, is a must-have must-read.

Best,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.