On Mar 18, 2008, at 14:33, Jeff LaMarche wrote:

I have bound the value binding of the NSTextField to an NSString called feedback,

Actually, you bind the text field to the property "feedback" of some object (File's Owner?). When you start using array properties, getting this terminology right will help you avoid a *lot* of grief. (Sometimes a property of an object is really an object, sometimes it's not.)

exposed as an Objective-C 2.0 property,declared like this:

@property (retain, nonatomic) NSMutableString *feedback;

In my implementation, use @synthesize to have it build the accessors and mutators. The binding is set to Continuously Updates Values, and is not editable, and has rich text turned off. If I run my program, and make changes to the string (feedback), those are not reflected in the text field even though I can tell through the debugger that the string is changing.

Make changes how? If you're doing 'someObject.feedback = newString', the text field should update. If you're doing (in a someObject method) 'feedback = newString', the text field won't update unless you enclose it in willChangeValueForKey/didChangeValueForKey.