Check out http://cocoacast.com/, in particular episodes 14, 15, 16 for prefs (and notifications). The example they show does not use bindings, but by binding the view objects you can scrap much of the code.

Also see http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/DrawColor/Tasks/StoringNSColorInDefaults.html for binding example and for how to deal with colors or other complex objects.