On Mar 19, 2008, at 12:23 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:

Here's some advice on how to debug stuff like this in the future...

The exception message is a good clue:
2008-03-19 17:19:30.957 cocoabc[10832:10b] *** -[NSCFString accident]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x33b040
This shows that the receiver of -accident was an NSCFString object.

I've gotten some messages that just gave an address, not a class name. I delightfully discovered that sending -class to the raw address was just as valid and useful. This may be a "duh" moment for some, but eye-opening to me, and has come in quite handy recently.

The way I would track something like this down is, first, to set a symbolic breakpoint on objc_exception_throw (via Xcode's breakpoints window.) This is always a good thing to have. Then run the app in the debugger and it'll hit the breakpoint when the exception's raised.

I 2nd this recommendation.

Now select the topmost application stack frame — it'll be on the line that calls [firstNote accident]. Then you can enter "po firstNote" in the debugger console to see the object's description. But as you pointed out, it looks like the description of a DBNNote object even though it's a string, so you can't really tell from that. A more surefire test is to enter "po [firstNote class]", which will print "NSCFString" instead of "DBNNote". That's your smoking gun.

The "po" and "p" commands are incredibly useful debugging tools, since they let you make nearly any Objective-C call interactively on your running code. Gdb understands a surprisingly large subset of Objective-C syntax.

'po $eax' has become my friend lately as well. It displays the register that contains the exception object that's already been thrown, after you've already crashed._______________________________________________