You probably forgot to connect your window controller's "window" outlet in Interface Builder, so [self window] is nil. If the window for the sheet is nil, you get a window instead.

If it's not that, make sure you're not doing this until after awakeFromNib, so that, again, the window outlet is set up.

Also, a panel is fine to use for this.

There's lot's of sample code on this sort of thing at http://developer.apple.com , as well as in your /Developer/Examples folder.

- d