I'm trying to create a simple clone of the tab view that's used by
Terminal and Safari in Leopard.

You say on your page that PSMTabBarControl doesn't have this style,
but it does. It's the exact same tabs. Only the window background has
changed, and that change is automatically picked up by
PSMTabBarControl.  Your code may be lighter than PSMTabBarControl, but
you should take another look at it, because it does have the same
appearance.

Seth thanks for your response.

I know about the meta style in PSMTabBarControl. And yes it's very close, but still not exactly the same look as Safari's tabs. In a dark room, when you are sleepy, they tend to look pretty different to my eyes (the etched lines), in the light of the day not so different. In any case the smart thing would certainly be for me to just modify PSMTabBarControls metal style as I want and I'd be done with it. Except I keep running into problems when I try that. For example this morning I decided, duhh, don't reinvent the wheel... then added PSMTabBarControl to my project (turned on GC for PSMTabBarControl) because my project is GC... and all of the sudden lots started going wrong. Understandable since PSMTabBarControl isn't designed to support GC, but that brings me back to square one of sorts... dealing with a fairly large codebase, most supporting features that I don't need... and me trying to understand it enough to make low level memory management changes.

Anyway at this point I'm mostly just complaining about my situation :) I'm stuck in the middle of the build or reuse decision, and keep flipping back and forth. I hope I didn't come across as suggesting that PSMTabBarControl isn't a nice framework, I think it's great and have used it in my products. But it's just more then I really need, and my 80% solution seems so close to what I exactly want... except of course for the always pesky remaining 20%!

Jesse