I really wouldn't do it this way. There are many ways of doing this within your app without spawning a task. LibCrypto offers functions for encoding and decoding Base64 as does LibSSL (which is going to be the same code as you're currently trying to use, but without spawning a task). There are also several categories on NSData floating around out there that will allow you to decode and encode Base64 right in your application, some of which are very well tested.

You can find some good discussion on the topic here:

http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?BaseSixtyFour

The category from Colloquy that is discussed has moved to a new location. You can find it at its new location here:

http://colloquy.info/project/browser/trunk/Additions/NSBundleAdditions.h
http://colloquy.info/project/browser/trunk/Additions/NSBundleAdditions.m

HTH
Jeff