On Mar 25, 2008, at 9:26 AM, James Hober wrote:

Do you write the dealloc anyway? Just wondering what others do. Personally I still write a dealloc method in a class for an object that I keep around for the life of the app. Then I preface it with a self-amusing comment:

//actually this dealloc never gets called - the app just relinquishes all memory upon quitting.
//But just to keep things tidy...

I suppose this is utter superstition on my part. Yet somehow I feel better that there are matching releases, etc. that never get called.

And of course, if the class were ever used not solely for a single object that lingers for the life of the app but for objects that come and go, then the proper memory management is in place.

I wouldn't recommend doing that. I'd suggest using something like this:

- (void) dealloc
{
        NSAssert(FALSE, @"Singleton objects should never be released");
        [super dealloc];
}

This communicates better what your intention is, and also catches the unlikely case of this instance ever being deallocated when it shouldn't, or if the class is being repurposed to a multi-instance pattern.

j o a r