On Mar 25, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Robert Claeson wrote:
Is there an API/framework to interface with the SMB/Samba/Windows networking functionality of OS X? More specifically, I need to:

* Find the Active Directory domain (or Windows workgroup name if not in an AD network)
* Ensure that the OS X user is authenticated via AD (if available)

As you can probably tell, I'm not too up to date on what Windows can really do these days or even the details of how they work. I'm porting a piece of system software from Windows that is very well integrated with Active Directory and all those management features that Windows offers and am trying to get the feature level of the OS X port on an equal footing. I have very little Windows programming experience, being a Nextstep/Openstep/OS X and Unix developer since the beginning of days.

I've never used it before, but Apple's API for this is called Open Directory and, sometimes, Directory Services. Search for those in the documentation to get started.

Cheers,
Ken