Hi Dirk,

If you want to use an NSTreeController to show your data in an
NSOutlineView, your plist will probably look something like the
following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd";>
<plist version="1.0">
<array>
        <dict>
                <key>name</key>
                <string>Day1</string>
                <key>children</key>
                <array>
                        <dict>
                                <key>name</key>
                                <string>morning</string>
                                <key>children</key>
                                <array>
                                        <string>purchase1</string>
                                        <string>purchase2</string>
                                        <string>purchase3</string>
                                </array>
                        </dict>
                        <dict>
                                <key>name</key>
                                <string>afternoon</string>
                                <key>children</key>
                                <array>
                                        <string>purchase4</string>
                                        <string>purchase5</string>
                                </array>
                        </dict>
                </array>
        </dict>
        <dict>
                <key>name</key>
                <string>Day2</string>
                <key>children</key>
                <array>
                        <dict>
                                <key>name</key>
                                <string>morning</string>
                                <key>children</key>
                                <array>
                                        <string>purchase6</string>
                                        <string>purchase7</string>
                                </array>
                        </dict>
                </array>
        </dict>
</array>
</plist>

(You may need the leaves to be something other than strings, but you
can see what the basic structure looks like.)

Then you set up your NSTreeController with "children" as its key path
for children, and bind your NSOutlineView's table column to your tree
controller's arrangedObjects.name. Bind your outline view's content to
the tree controller's arrangedObjects, and bind the tree controller to
the array you got from the plist, and you should see your data.

Best wishes,
Hamish