In the docs for [NSPropertyListSerialization propertyListFromData:mutabilityOption:format:errorDescription:] it has the following comment:

Special Considerations
Strings returned in errorString needed to be released by the caller prior to Mac OS X version 10.5. In Mac OS X version 10.5 and later, strings returned inerrorString are memory managed for the caller.

I understand this to mean that prior to 10.5, we needed to do a [errorString release]. But I am very unclear what this means practically for the code that I am writing today.

I am writing code that is linked to the 10.4u SDK. Does this mean that I need to release the string? What happens if my app is run under 10.5?

If I move to the 10.5 SDK, does that mean that I must NOT release the string?

Do I need to detect this at runtime, or can I detect this at compile time?

TIA,

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo
http://www.mhlabs.com