On 27 Mar '08, at 7:59 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Jeff Laing <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
What confuses me is that people keep talking about @"constant" as though
it were a 'string constant'

Its not, it's an Objective-C object that you can send messages to.
[snip]
What is the subtlety here that I must be missing?

@"" strings are actually instances of an immutable private NSString
subclass.  I think it's called _NSConstantString or some such.

Yup. And they're not allocated on the heap; they're stored in the executable itself, although their memory layout is that of a "real" Obj-C object. The compiler tags them in such a way that the linker will coalesce identical ones into a single value.

 Of course this is an implementation detail.

Yup. Don't rely on this behavior.

—Jens