I am finding it hard to determine in many cases exactly what is thread safe
as this is not complete:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Multithreading/Thr
eadSafetySummary/chapter_950_section_2.html

Can I call the following from a thread?

segImageRep = [[NSBitmapImageRep alloc] initWithBitmapDataPlanes:NULL
                               pixelsWide:100
                               pixelsHigh:100
                               bitsPerSample:8
                               samplesPerPixel:4
                               hasAlpha:YES
                               isPlanar:NO
                               colorSpaceName:NSDeviceRGBColorSpace
                               bitmapFormat:NSAlphaFirstBitmapFormat
                               bytesPerRow:100 * 4
                               bitsPerPixel:32];
    segBaseAddr = [segImageRep bitmapData];

    [segImageRep dealloc];

How about:

NSImage *    image = [[[NSImage alloc] initWithContentsOfFile:path]
autorelease];

    [NSGraphicsContext saveGraphicsState];
    [NSGraphicsContext setCurrentContext:[NSGraphicsContext
graphicsContextWithBitmapImageRep:segImageRep]];

    [image drawInRect:NSMakeRect(0, 0, [image size].width, [image
size].height) fromRect:NSMakeRect(0, 0, [image size].width, [image
size].height) operation:NSCompositeCopy fraction:1.0];

    [NSGraphicsContext restoreGraphicsState];

I am trying to eliminate as much as possible calls to
detachNewThreadSelector since I can only pass these methods a single object.

Thanks,

Trygve