It appears that a new (unsaved) NSPersistentDocument has no persistent store associated with it.

AFAICT, this makes it impossible to fault out any objects until the document is saved (there's nowhere to fault them back in from later). This effectively means it's impossible to put a lot of data into the document until after it's saved once -- until it's saved, all data has to be held in memory by the managed object context, and there just isn't enough memory.

Am I missing something here?. There seems to be nothing in the Core Data documentation that discusses memory management in an unsaved document. Forcing the user to save a document *before* putting things in it turns a very well established UI behavior on its head

(What I'm actually trying to do is import a lot of data from an external source into a new Core Data document. The smallest import is a couple of hundred MB. Larger imports could be several GB. Trying to use virtual memory to "cache" that much data will quickly bring a machine to its knees.)