On 3 Apr '08, at 11:59 AM, ilteris kaplan wrote:

Basically if you watch the video you will see that the software plays with the elements on users screen according to accelerometer using some physics. I am wondering if we have an access to the desktop just like that. I am curious to learn how one should go to create such an application.

I think it puts up a full-screen window, scans the Desktop folder to find all the items and their xy positions and icons, then draws its own animation starting from those conditions. (Probably using Box2d or Chipmunk for the physics.) In short, it's faked. There's certainly no way you can use system APIs to make the menu bar fall down like that.

I'm also sort of skeptical about their claim that merely inserting their USB flash-drive installs the virus. I don't think the Mac OS will automatically run code from a filesystem when it mounts. There used to be a feature like that back in the classic OS, which was exploited by several real viruses and then removed.

—Jens