I'm sorry for asking a memory management question but I was hoping someone
could help me understand this situation.

I have a series of NSImages I place in an array (subclass instance variable)
when a custom NSView is init'd:

initWithFrame:
     imgArray[x] = [NSImage imageNamed:@"foo.jpg"];

Throughout the scope of my app, when the drawRect fires, these images always
appear properly. But today I suddenly released that I never retained them,
which has me kind of baffled. My understanding was that once the method that
creates the auto-released object exits, eventually that object will be
released. Other objects, like NSStrings, which are created within this
view's methods, seem to need to be retained as the view's methods use the
object, but the NSImage array shows up without being retained. Can someone
please help me understand why this is?

Thank you for your help,
-Matt