On Apr 10, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Don Arnel wrote:
I've got a Cocoa application which runs a simulation loop 1000s of times. Of course, this prevents any user interaction with the rest of the program while the simulation is running. When I was programming for Windows there was a call in Visual Basic (app.DoEvents()) which would process any pending events. You could put DoEvents() inside long loops to prevent blocking user input. Is there a similar way to handle this in Cocoa?

NSTimer may be a simple way to implement this. Your code is called back by the timer at the specified interval. Your code would probably run one iteration of the simulation at each callback. User interface events would be processed between timer callbacks. Coding this is likely to be simpler than using threads.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Timers/Timers.html

--
Brian Stern
[EMAIL PROTECTED]