If you're targeting Leopard, there is an NSTableView method you can override for this (a public one!)

-(void)highlightSelectionInClipRect:(NSRect)theClipRect

Ideally this should be the only method you have to override for Tiger also. You may have to coordinate with the cell (or use a custom cell) to get the cell to not draw a conflicting highlight (hence, that is why some people say to override _highlightColorForCell: -- this color isn't used by NSTableView -- it is used by the cell)

You have to actually draw the highlights, it's not simply a matter of setting the color. If you look at the post Ben linked to, there is sample code you can download that will show you what to do.

The problem I am having with this is that it is leaving white spaces between the columns, which correspond to where the grid lines would be - I have them turned off. Is there anything I can do about that?

           NSRect aRowRect = NSInsetRect([self rectOfRow:aRow], 2, 1);

Your insetting the width and height, hence you get spacing.

corbin