On Apr 13, 2008, at 12:36 PM, stephen joseph butler wrote:
Usually it's not. For me, it's 100% a "best practices" thing. It never
hurts, so why not get into the habit of doing it?

Two reasons:

* I don't think that it can be described as a best practice to begin with, and

* You could end up hiding what I would consider to be real problems in your code.

I want to detect real problems as soon as possible. Messaging deallocated objects, or objects that are in the process of being deallocated, is typically an error. The longer time you're unaware of something like this happening in your app, the more expensive it will be to fix it once it becomes a more serious problem.

j o a r