Hey guys,

I have been asking a few questions around NSCollectionView and NSTableView before. While I did get some of it working just fine, I've also run into one or the other problem. So I thought I take a step back and ask for some more general feedback. So I thought I just explain what I want to implement and I hope I get pointed into the right direction.

So in core data I have a list of objects. The model is roughly like this:

Action {
  NSString *Text;
  NSDate *Date;
  NSString *Other;
}

This model is bound to a NSArrayController. Now I want to create an UI to show and edit a set of these objects. A NSTableView or NSCollectionView come to mind. But the object visualization has some constraints. The length of the "Text" attribute can be quite different. Which means the visualization of some of the "Action" objects requires a different height of the rows. Essentially the NSTextField should resize accordingly. Also the normal table column view of the attributes is not really good enough for this application. It should be more like a custom view.

Now IIUC having different heights is a problem at least for a NSCollectionView. Would that be possible with a NSTableView by writing my own NSTableCell? Or would it be better to go for a custom view (NSScrollView?) that I'll connect to the NSArrayController that knows how to draw the "Action" objects?

How would you guys tackle something like that? I couldn't really think of any open source project (or example) to look at how it's done.
Any pointers?

cheers
--
Torsten