First post. I've been dragging my way through the Cocoa documentation and trying some simple apps. I started with non-document apps and of course you still get the File menu, but most of it's disabled. I understand that when you create a document-based app (and I have a lot more reading to do there) those menu items are enabled and you get the file browser etc for free.

I was trying to figure out if it's possible to enable and use the file save and open even on a non-document-based app, eg assume some stupidly simple app which just lets you 'open' any file you like and gives you information about it in a window. I haven't been able to understand what's driving those menu items, what's enabling and disabling them in the Document-based app which isn't there in a non- document-based one and what methods I'd need to supply if I wanted to add that kind of support.

Is there an example out there somewhere of a non-document-based app which uses some or all of the file menu items, or a piece of API documentation I haven't found which explains it? Or is this just something you just don't do .. if you want to use File menu stuff at all .. you make a document-based app?

Thanks