Honestly, I can't see value in always coding to CFArray just so I can rip out the back end later if I don't like the results.

If anything, it would make more sense to me to use NSArray for that purpose, since I know working with and subclassing NSArray will be easy and painless. Core Foundation is just ugly in comparison... :)