> Remotely means pushing software packages to clients on a network. Not
> understood meaning of "An installer that pulls its payload from a remote
> server".

  That's considerably more complicated than a simple client-side
install by dragging an application to a folder. :-)

  I wonder if you realize that there are mechanisms already in place
on every Mac to handle 'push' installs for any installer package.
Apple Remote Desktop makes this easy for any application. You can
select multiple computers on your network, tell it to install a
package, run a script, copy a file, etc. In the case of a standard
installer package, you can just select the package and it'll run
silently on all clients.

  This, IMO, is a far better solution than reinventing the wheel for
an individual application. From the very first page of the document I
sent you:

  "Network administrators can use a type of managed install, a remote
install, to install a product on several networked computers using
Remote Desktop. No user interaction occurs in this type of install."

  The how-to's on that, however, are best suited for another list, but
that is *the* standard way on OS X - it unfortunately requires ARD
(Apple Remote Desktop), I believe.

  A somewhat clunkier method might be to run a script via SSH ...

--
I.S.