Maybe try
[[NSNotificationCenter defaultCenter] removeObserver:nil name:nil object:self] in your dealloc method? I think that will patch the symptom, but I still don't understand why you're getting the original error.

This bit looks important though. Makes me wonder if you've got things wired up in IB the way they should be, or some other similar hard-to- notice glitch.