I am working on a program with a complex hierarchy of classes, and I want to subclass one of the objects a few steps down on that hierarchy. Do I have to create a parallel hierarchy to do this? Here is the problem:

AppController instantiates a Deduction object.
The Deduction object instantiates a DeductionLine object.
The DeductionLine object instantiates a Dependency object.

I want to subclass Dependency and override a few things. Can I do this without modifying DeductionLine? As it stands, I think I'm going to have to do this:

AppController instantiates a SDeduction object (where SDeduction is a subclass of Deduction). The SDeduction object instantiates a SDeductionLine object (where SDeductionLine is a subclass of DeductionLine). The SDeduction object instantiates a SDependency object (where SDependency is a subclass of Dependency).

The only reason to subclass Deduction (with SDeduction) and then DeductionLine (with SDeductionLine) is to get an SDependency object. Is there an easier way? I suppose I could just copy the Dependency class files and then modify it for this particular project; but I was hoping for a different way. Thanks.