I think the CFUserNotification API is exactly what I'm looking for, although I'm not pleased with daemons requiring user interaction in the first place. An earlier reply suggested Growl which I'm thinking is better suited for what I'm doing. Combined with a simple preference pane for setting configuration and a CFUserNotification object for alerts, this should keep user interactions to a minimum.

Thanks for the responses!

Rod