On Apr 22, 2008, at 6:37 AM, Paul Thomas wrote:
I'm trying to implement a basic promise variable and I'm not sure if OSMemoryBarrier() is enough to make it correct. If anyone is familiar with the memory model, I'd appreciate a quick look-over.

It's basically like this:

{
   BOOL done;
   id result;
   NSError* error;
   NSException* exception;
}

Users ask for KVO notifications on 'done' and don't attempt to access any other ivars until done == YES. Then whatever thread or NSOperation or whatever that is responsible for delivering the result calls:

-(void)completeWithResult:(id)res
{
   result = res;
   [self willChangeValueForKey:@"done"];
   done = YES;
   OSMemoryBarrier();
   [self didChangeValueForKey:@"done"];
}

Is this enough? Or will I need to use a full blown lock?

What is it that you fear going wrong, such that you think even OSMemoryBarrier is necessary?

KVO notifications are delivered on the thread where will/ didChangeValueForKey: are called. There's no multi-threading issue inherent in the above code, even without OSMemoryBarrier.

-Ken