Generally this goes against accepted Mac OS guidelines. But I understand you might not have a choice. What you can do is either use FSNewAlias to make an alias (shortcuts on Mac, will require you to learn how Carbon file management works), or use the ln command line tool to make a symbolic link (unix style shortcut). An alias is usually more reliable because it will work if the real file is moved (within the same disk) after the alias was made. Symlinks however will break if the real file is moved since they point at a specific path; aliases point at a specific file.