--As of April 23, 2008 9:04:21 PM +1200, Ian Jackson is alleged to have said:

Whitespace is preserved, not ignored. But in your example, the new line
is in the attribute value, so I don't suppose XML cares too much what's
between the quotation marks.
So if you can obtain the value of the data attribute, and print the value
to the console, does it come out with a space instead of the \n?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

To be more specific: XML considers whitespace significant inside element _content,_ but not within the elements themselves. NSXML* deal with this very close to the spec, as far as I can tell.

So the behavior seen by the parent is normal, and could well happen with any compliant XML parser.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.